Official Match Reports

Keith could hardly have had a tougher match for their opener for the 2019-20 season. The Maroons were left gasping in the Kynoch Park heat as one of the obvious title challengers Formartine swatted them aside with a five goal salvo.
The Maroons were weakend by the absence of suspended duo Scott Begg and Craig Macaskill, as well as injured pair Ryan Spink and Michael Selfridge. Even with the quartet available though, it would have been a tough ask against a powerful Pitmedden outfit that looked the part.
The Maroons handed a competitive debut to 18 year old Kieran Yeats, son of Keith legend Craig, whilst manager Dean Donaldson was forced to name himself on a depleted substitutes bench.
It was good to see referee Dan McFarlane showing common sense, by allowing a water after 25 minutes, then the same again midway through the second half.
Graeme Rodger nabbed the first goal of an eventual hat-trick after only nine minutes stabbing home from eight yards, with the home rearguard static. Eleven minutes later David Dey pulled off the first of a string of several fine saves. Sadly it was fine stop to deny Andrew Greig from the penalty spot, but with the home defence dithering, Rodger pounced to slam home the loose ball.
Dey then spreadeagled himself to deny new boy Scott Lisle, and thwarted the inrushing Rodger looking for his treble. The goalie also got down well to hold a Greig shot three minutes from the break.
Barely a minute into the second half, Rodger duly tapped home his hat-trick, as simple a goal as he will have all season. Nine minutes later Dey was at full stretch to hold a Crawford header, but a minute later he was helpless as Garry Wood’s powerful shot flew past him.
If his defence was dilly dallying, Dey certainly wasn’t, and he moved smartly to thwart Lisle at close range. He then produced a super save to punch away a Rodger drive, but could nothing to prevent Crawford from sweeping home a nap hand with five minutes remaining.
KEITH – Dey, Young, Yeats(Clark 50), McAllister, Robertson, Smith, Lennox(Donaldson 62), Thomson, Keith, Gray(Berton 50),Brownie. Sub unused – Simpson.




A decidely off colour Keith side fell by the odd goal in three in what was their 148th league tussle with Deveronvale. Their 11 goal haul the previous week seemed a world away as they struggled to make any real impact against a side one place above them in the league table.

There was little between the sides in the opening stages with little to shout about. Then, with 25 minutes on the clock, the game sparked to life with two goal opportunities. First, the home rearguard got in a fankle, and somehow Matthew Wallace couldn’t quite ram the ball over the line. The hefty clearance was latched onto by Cammy Keith who spotted ‘Vale custodian Robbie Mutch off his line, but the striker’s lob landed just over the bar with the empty net beckoning.

Both sides had shots on target after that, but the first half remained goal-less. Thirteen minutes after the break, the deadlock was broken when Colin Charlesworth headed goalwards and the unfortunate Macaulay Rae hoofed the ball into his own net.

It was level pegging with 73 minutes played when a goalmouth melee ended with Cammy Keith forcing the ball home for his 25th goal of the season. Despite protestations from the visiting defence, the stand side assistant referee was in line with play to flag that the ball had indeed crossed the line.

A minute later Craig Macaskill’s 18 yard rasper cracked off the foot of the post as the Maroons sought to take advantage. However, within a minute the Banffers nabbed the winner thanks to a blistering drive from Wallace that gave Greg Simpson no chance.

Four minutes later Simpson kept his side’s hopes alive when beat away another Wallace drive, whilst in the final minute Mutch was on the spot to hold Callum Porteous’ well struck 18 yarder.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon(Porteous 78), Smith, Rae, Robertson, Brownie, Young, Begg(McAllister 58), Keith, Berton(Macaskill 58), Selfridge. subs unused – Gray, Lennox, Stewart.

Referee – F Mazzoni



Poor Fort William were swept aside by an avalanche of goals at Kynoch Park as their hosts Keith broke an 87 year old Club record. The Maroons set their previous home league record win as far back as April 1932 when they thumped Nairn County 11-2.

You could only help but feel sorry for the young Fort side that battled gamely to the bitter end, but they were swept aside by a more experienced, fitter and stronger Keith outfit. Skipper and all time top scorer Cammy Keith led the rout with a quartet of goals, his fourth four goal haul for the Maroons. It was also the 150th game that he had been on the mark for the Club.

The homesters could have been at least a couple of goals ahead before Cammy Keith broke the deadlock in the 5th minute, followed five minutes later by Michael Selfridge slotting home his 6th goal of the season.

Cammy Keith again, Scott Gray and James Brownie all went close before Selfridge was upended inside the penalty area in the 26th minute, Keith stepping up to easily convert the resultant spot kick. Cammy Keith was denied again before Marc Young nabbed his first goal for the Club with 38 minutes played.

The constant one way traffic continued after the break and within four minutes centre half Ryan Robertson headed home his first goal of the season. Max Berton then fired into the roof of the net, scoring for the third successive match with 58 minutes on the clock. Then five minutes later Keith had the simple task of sweeping home his hat-trick from close range.

The Fort goal area led a charmed life for a few minutes after that with goalkeeper Mateusz Kulbacki pulling off some fine stops, as he did in the first half. Keith substitute Calluim Porteous hit the bar in the 77th minute, but his first Keith goal was only delayed by a further three minutes, firing home from 15 yards.

Three goals in the final six minutes well and truly wrapped up the record score. First, Jamie Lennox tapped home from close range, Marc Young grabbed his second goal of the game from six yards, then who else but Cammy Keith scrambled the ball over the line in the dying seconds for his 24th goal of the season.

An interesting foot note to the 1932 match was, that season 1931-32 Keith were believed to be the first Highland League side to use whitening instead of sawdust for their pitch lines.

KEITH – Simpson, Young, Spink, Rae, Robertson, Smith, Gray(Porteous 59), Brownie(Hutcheon 68), Keith, Berton(Lennox 59), Selfridge. Subs unused – Begg, Stewart.

Referee – Mr A Proctor.




Keith held their nerve at Station Park last weekend when they not only nabbed their first league win since 1 December 2018, they also completed the league double over Nairn county, rising a couple of positions in the league table in the process.

Master Marksman Cammy Keith, the Club’s record scorer with 228 goals, slotted home his 20th goal of the season from the penalty spot, his 40th such award, another Club record.

The Maroons, looking to atone for the 4-4 draw against Lossie the previous week, opened the scoring when Keith was adjudged to have been impeded by Fraser Dingwall inside the penalty area in the 38th minute, and the skipper made no mistake with the resultant award.

A couple of minutes from the break, Max Berton headed home a Marc Young throw in for only his second goal of the campaign to make it a happy half time cuppa for the visitors.

Early in the second half Michael Selfrdige was penalised for tangling with Max Ewan inside the visiting penalty area and Adam Naismith gave his side a glimmer of hope by slotting home from the spot.

Neither side could find the back of the net after that, giving Dean Donaldson a welcome three points, thus ending the recent non win run,and sending theMaroons above Turriff and Strathspey and on the same number of points as Rothes.

KEITH – Simpson, Young, Spink, Rae, McAllister, Robertson, Macaskill, Brownie, Keith, Berton(Porteous 68), Selfridge(Smith 82). subs unused – Hutcheon, Gray, Lennox, Stewart.

Referee Mr Billy Baxter.




If there were any neutrals at Kynoch Park last Saturday they were surely licking their lips at witnessing an all action affair.  Let’s face it, £8 admission, the away team leading 3-0 after only 24 minutes, the home team clawing back to go 4-3 in front then having a man sent off with 26 minutes remaining, and the visitors nabbing a share of the spoils with a last gasp penalty conversion.  What more could you want on a Saturday afternoon?

There was a minute’s silence prior to kick off in respect of former Keith FC Committee Member George “Dod” Clark, who sadly died last week, and also the late john Fairclough, former striker who died recently at the age of 97 years.

Lossiemouth may be firmly stuck in second bottom place in the league, but they came whirling out of the blocks to leave their hosts gasping with a 3 goal salvo inside the opening 24 minutes.  They opened the scoring after only 8 minutes when Ryan Sewell was allowed to slam home an 18 yarder. Michael Selfridge twice went close in response, but the visitors netted again midway through the half, an abject failure by the home rearguard to clear their lines, and Fraser Forbes gleefully drove the ball into the roof of the net. A debacle was on the cards two minutes later when more defensive dithering saw Ryan Stuart easily whip home from 12 yards.

The Maroons made an almost immediate response to halt the slide by making a double substitution whipping off defensive duo Stewart Hutcheon and Macaulay Rae. Seconds before, Andy Smith shot straight at the goalie.

There was a chink of hope with 34 minutes on the clock when Cammy Keith clinically slotted home from 12 yards.  After the half-time cuppa, and probably some stern words  by the management in the home dressing room, saw the Maroons take the game by the scruff of the neck.  Seven minutes in and Cammy Keith saw his shot hit the post but Andy Smith pounced to whip home from close range for his first goal in 11 months.

Five minutes later it was all square when Selfridge rammed home his 5th goal of the season from eight yards.  As the game continued fast and furiously, a blistering Ryan Spink 20 yarder was tipped over the bar by visiting custodian Stewart Black. A ripsnorter of a comeback seemed complete with 63 minutes on the clock when who else but skipper Cammy Keith sent a 15 yarder whistling into the corner of the net for his 19th goal of the campaign.

Ah, but this game still had more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie thriller! First, barely a minute after watching his side take the lead, Scott Begg received a second yellow card to leave his team a man short for the remaining half hour or so.  Even then, the Maroons looked to be heading for their first win since 1 December 2018, but just as the normal ninety minutes was drawing to a close, Lossie were awarded a spot kick following an alleged Spink infringement. Up stepped James McLaren to confidently slot home the award.  Five minutes of stoppage time failed to separate the sides after that.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon(Brownie 28), Spink, Rae(Young 28), Smith, Robertson, Macaskill, Begg, Keith, Berton(Lennox 66), Selfridge.  Unused Subs – Gray, Porteous, Stewart.  Referee – Mr B Misiak




Make no mistake, Brora are one of the top two sides in the Highland League just now, but maybe last week at Dudgeon Park Keith treated them with too much respect, especially in the first half.

The match was done and dusted inside the opening half hour with three home goals.  It was a different story in the second half when the Maroons set about their hosts with far more gusto.  Sadly the defeat consigned Keith to a 14th successive league reverse against the Cattachs, last winning in March 2012 when current manager Dean Donaldson was one of the scorers in a 4-0 win.

Brora edged ahead after only seven minutes when the visiting rearguard failed to clear a corner, and Kyle Macleod headed his side in front. A Jamie  McAllister 20 yard free kick was well held by Joe Malin at the other end, before Greg Simpson denied Macleod again with a fine diving save.

The score-line was doubled in the 20th minute when Dale Gillespie curled an 18 yarder into the roof of the net, as the slick Sutherland side continued to dominate.  With 27 minutes played it was well and truly tatties ower the side for the Maroons.  Simpson pulled off three brilliant saves but it was to no avail as his defence to clear, and MacLeod pounced t slam home from 12 yards.

The Maroons showed more vim and vigour after the half-time cuppa but their only real effort on target came in the final minute when Craig Macaskill pulled a terrific diving save out of Malin from out on the left wing.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Spink(Berton 60), Rae, McAllister, Robertson, Macaskill, Begg, Porteous(Keith 56), Smith, Brownie(Selfridge 72).  subs unused – Lennox, Young, Stewart.

Referee – Mr G Seago.



Newly crowned Aberdeenshire District Shield Winners Formartine leapfrogged back up into fourth spot in the league, following a hardfought match at North Lodge against a batting Keith outfit. It was a tale of two penalties, with the homesters edging ahead from the spot, and the visitors squandering the chance to level with a saved penalty.

Formartine player manager Paul Lawson was happy with the win and said”We played well and deserved the three points, it was good to get back to winning ways in the league. They set themselves up well, it was tough at Kynoch Park earlier in the season, but with a bit more quality from us we could have scored more. They looked dangerous on the break, but we kicked on from the penalty save, and showed our fitness after a tough midweek match”.

The Maroons looked bright in their first outing for four weeks, but it was Formartine who drew first blood in the 18th minute when Garry Wood was adjudged to have been impeded inside the box, and Andrew Greig sent Greg Simpson the wrong way to slot home his 14th goal of the season from the spot.

The visitors had the perfect chance to square matters two minutes into the second half when Jevan Anderson fouled loanee Callum Porteous, but Cammy Keith’s weak spot kick was easily saved by Kevin Main. Then on the hour mark the Maroons top scorer was presented with another opportunity following fine play by Porteous. He turned quickly and fired goalwards only for Main to save well.

Formartine doubled the score in the 75th minute thanks to the visitors losing the ball in midfield and substitute Ryan Stott capitalised by rifling home his 8th goal of the season. Then, in the dying seconds an unfortunate Macaulay Rae defensive slip allowed Wood to pounce and lob the ball into the empty net for his 12th goal of the season.

Keith manager Dean Donaldson was disappointed with the outcome saying” Over the piece our game plan worked, we set ourselves up well, and defended well. They knew they were in a game. i felt their penalty was soft, and it’s not really sour grapes but I thought their second goal was offside. It would have been a different game had we scored our penalty, and it just wasn’t Cammy’s day when he was denied later on as well”.




This was the classic encounter where diabolical defensive dithering was severely punished by a master marksman. The Keith defence did the dithering, and Inverurie’s hot shot striker Neil Gauld made them pay heavily with a first half hat-trick.

The last six league encounters between the sides now see Locos win five and draw one, with this latest win replicating the scoreline at Kynoch Park back on 1 September. This was the 36th league tussle between the sides, Locos now having won 23 of them.

With captain and all time record scorer Cammy Keith absent due to impending fatherhood, Jamie McAllister made his return to spearhead the attack.

Although the Maroons, playing down the Harlaw slope, made a bright enough start, there was an inkling of Gauld’s danger as early as the 4th minute, with Greg Simpson pushing his shot round the post for a corner.

Two goals in the space of two minutes from the 9th minute onwards, had the visitors gasping. First, a failuire to clear saw Gauld pounce to slot home from the far side of the box. Then more indecision saw the wee striker slam the ball into the back of the net from almost the same spot.

However, the Maroons appeared to get a foothold back into the game with 21 minutes played, fine play from James Brownie setting up McAllister who rifled into the bottom corner of the net for his 4th goal of the season.

The visitors seemed to be growing into the game after that, but then with 37 minutes on the clock, they were found wanting again, and Gauld capitalised to hammer his 36th goal of the season into the roof of the net from 15 yards.

Playing up the slope after the half-time cuppa the Maroons were up against it, and just after the hour mark, the game was well and truly dead and buried when Chris Angus saw his edge of the box effort ricochet to wrong foot Simpson and land in the back of the net. Five minutes later Simpson denied Gauld a fourth goal with a fine block.

KEITH -Simpson, Young(Hutcheon 62), Spink, Rae, Robertson, Begg, Macaskill, Brownie, McAllister, Smith(Berton 62), Selfridge(Barron 81). Subs unused – Gray, Manson, Stewart.

Referee – Mr D McFarlane.




Not for the first time in his prolific goalsnatching career, Keith captain and all time record scorer Cammy Keith rode to the rescue on his white steed with a deadly double.  Dean Donaldson, a Maroons legend himself, was heading for a defeat as he marked his first year in the Kynoch Park managerial hot seat, when his trusty No:9 rattled home an equaliser in stoppage time against Turriff.

It was probably no more than the homesters deserved although a host of scoring opprtunities were squandered once again.

Chances came at both ends in this mid table encounter, with Cammy Keith being denied by Fraser Hobday early on.  Then the Maroons ought to have got their noses in front with 16 minutes gone, Cammy Keith persisting out on the left wing before laying a pass on a plate for Scott Begg who proceeded to sky yards over the bar fropm close range.

A rare slack Macaulay Rae pass at the other end of the park saw ex- Maroons hotshot Michael Ewan pounce, but the ball ended up out of play for a fruitless corner.

Nine minutes from the half-time cuppa, the home side found themselves trailing when Ryan Robertson handled the ball inside the penaty area, Angus Grant sending Greg Simpson the wrong way with the resultant spot kick.

After the break Simpson excelled at one end whilst young Scott Gray fired over the bar at the other end.  Keith diehards were celebrating though with 58 minutes on the clock, a James Brownie pass being deftly clipped over Hobday’s head by Cammy Keith to make it level pegging.

Greg Simpson came to the fore again as Turra hit back, the custodian blocking a shot with Marc Young also doing the same.

With eight minutes remaining it looked like tatties ower the side for the Maroons when Liam Strachan was allowed to set up ex-Keith loanee Keir Smith who slotted home what most thought would be the winner.

Brownie blasted a drive straight at the goalie after that as the homesters poured forward in search of an elusive leveller.  Then, with the game into stoppage time, master marksman Keith turned inside the crowded penalty area to whip the ball into the corner of the net for his 17th goal of the season.

Not one of Keith’s better performances of late, but a draw was probably just about right in what was the 20th league encounter between the two sides, replicating the 2-2 draw at the Haughs at the start of the season.

KEITH – Simpson, Young, Spink, Rae, Robertson, Begg(Porteous 62), Macaskill(Barron 76), Smith, Keith, Brownie, Gray(McAllister 62).  Subs unused – Berton, Selfridge, Hutcheon, Stewart.

Referee – Mr P Cummings.



I’m all for bearing gifts to herald in the New Year, but Keith took it a bit far when they went first footing to Christie Park for the festive Derby tussle with neighbours Huntly. A suicidal piece of defending after only three minutes saw the Black and Golds capitalise, leaving the Maroons on the back foot early on.

However, Dean Donaldson’s men then did everything bar score more goals than their hosts, and despite a late consolation, the homesters hung on to win the 168th league clash between the sides.

Three minutes after the first peep of the referee’s whistle, a Stewart Hutcheon pass back put goalie Greg Simpson in a right fankle on the edge of his 6 yard box, and Nicholas Gray gleefully punished the mistake by prodding the ball over the line.

The Maroons tried to hit back right away, and Cammy Keith twice had the ball in the back of the net, but the offside flag was up on each occassion. As the visitors kept taking the game to their hosts, midway through the half a Marc Young 20 yarder flew inches over the bar. A couple of minutes later a rasping Max Berton 20 yard crashed back off the crossbar. Then Cammy Keith couldn’t quite slot past the ‘keeper from six yards a minute later.

Keith gaffer Donaldson showed his intent right at the start of the second half piling on three substitutes at one go, with Scott Begg, Ryan Spink and Jamie McAllister all entering the fray. The Maroons continued to dictate and Cammy Keith racing in on target saw his shot deflected for an early second half corner.

Huge sighs of woe emanated from the Keith faithful with 63 minutes on the clock, Cammy Keith cutting the ball back into the six yard box for a sure fire equaliser, only for Mcallister to swipe at fresh air. Right away at the other end Simpson had to look lively to hoof out a Gary McGowan shot as the match was beginning to reach fever pitch.

Surely an equaliser would come thought the Maroon scarved brigade, as a Craig Macaskill rocket inside the box was blocked, then Cammy Keith volleyed just over the bar.

Then, with three minutes remaining came a right sickener for the visitors who had put so much into the game when Huntly broke up the left flank and ex-Keith loanee Kai Ross slammed a low angled drive into the far corner of the net.

All credit to Deano’s Dynamos though, they kept plugging at it and in the dying seconds a Cammy Keith effort was blocked in the crowded penalty area and James Brownie pounced to slot home his 3rd goal of the season.

Sadly, not enough to gain a share of the spoils which nobody would have begrudged the visitors, but as in the Buckie match the previous Saturday, the goals failed to flow despite playing plenty of good of football.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon(Spink 46), Smith(Begg 46), Rae, Robertson, Young, Macaskill, Brownie, Keith, Berton(McAllister 46), Selfridge. Subs unused – Barron, Gray, Manson, Stewart.

Referee – Mr M Northcroft.



This was maybe no Christmas Cracker, but neither was it a “Ba Humbug” as both sides gave the football hungry fans a chance to work off the excesses of the festive turkey. The 176th Highland league clash between the sides produced only the ninth goal-less league draw during those games. Both teams pulled out all the stops, with the Jags having to play 32 minutes with ten men thanks to Craig Dorrat’s second yellow card.

There was a minute’s silence pre match in respect of Brian Christie the Aberdeenshire FA secretary who sadly died recently, and also for Keith FC Legend Mike Cogan who died last weekend. Inside forward Cogan was part of the first ever Maroons title winning and Highland League Cup winning sides, as well as winning the Qualifying Cup and Aberdeenshire Cup.

It was end to end in the opening stages, and it wasn’t until the 25th minute when Jags’ teenage goalie Lee Herbert miskicked, but he recovered quickly to thwart Michael Selfridge. Five minutes later the youngster did well to hold a Craig Macaskill drive.

Macaskill was to the fore again with a 20 yard free kick which flew inches wide. A minute after the break Herbert pulled off a fine diving save to palm away a Max Berton effort as the Maroons contiuned to play some neat controlled football.

Buckie’s cause was hit with 58 minutes on the clock when Dorrat, already on a yellow card, sent Berton flying in the middle of the park and received a second yellow for his pains.

The Maroons tried everything to break the deadlock after that, swarming forward at every chance. However, Buckie were resolute and Herbert denied the inrushing Cammy Keith on 66 minutes, then did well to block a well struck low 18 yard free kick from Macaulay Rae.

Greg Simpson though had to look lively a minute later to palm away a Lewis McKinnon free kick.

Then, twice in the closing minutes teenage substitute Scott Gray nearly made a name for himself. First he volleyed a Barron cut back which skimmed the bar, then in the final minute his header off a corner whizzed inches past the post.

A fine overall display from Keith, and had they been more clinical they surely would have ended 2018 with a win under their belts.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon(Begg 77), Smith, Rae, Robertson, Brownie, Macaskill, Young, Keith, Berton(Gray 82), Selfridge(Barron 71). Subs unused – Manson, Stewart.

Referee – Mr A Proctor



(Match abandoned 76th minute)

The atrocious windy, rainy conditions was the real winner in this tussle at Bellslea Park, the referee really having no option but call a halt to proceedings with 76 minutes played, title challengers Fraserburgh leading 4-2 at the time.

Both sets of players must have been chilled to the bone, as were the hardy spectators who turned up to watch the teams give their all in horrible conditions.

Both managers were in agreement of the match going ahead, following pre-match discussion with the referee Mr Liam Duncan. He also spoke to both camps during the second half, before pulling the plug, as the wind and rain grew stronger. Latterly, Keith goalie Greg Simpson’s kick outs were flying back over his head and out of play for ‘Broch corners.

The Maroons elected to play with the fierce, chilly wind at their backs in the first half, and they opened the scoring in the 18th minute when a Marc Young cross was swept home by Michael Selfridge from eight yards. ‘Broch goalie Paul Leask had to look lively six minutes later to tip rpund another swerving Young cross.

It was all square with 28 minutes played, home top scorer Scott Barbour whipping home a low drive from the right side of the penalty area. A bullet header from Selfridge off a Stewart Hutcheon cross whizzed past the post on the half hour. Then Craig Macaskill turned quickly insdie the box to fire goalwards, but the ‘keeper was right on the spot.

The visitors edged ahead again with 38 minutes on the clock, wee Macaskill keeping a cool head to clip the ball beyond the outrushing goalie from 10 yards.

The welcome sound of the referee’s peeper signalling half-time was as good as it gets in these conditions, a grand cup of tea and a Cullen Skink Pie, yes that’s right, being the best medicine for clearing up a dreepy nose!

‘Broch harnessed the wind better than the visitors at the turn of the second half, and they levelled within six minutes, Aidan Combe rattling home a spot kick after Hutcheon was adjudged Sargent inside the area.

As the wind got fiercer so the Maroons found it increasingly difficult to get out of their own half. ‘Broch took the lead for the first time in the 57th minute, a wind assisted 25 yard rocket from Sean Butcher flying into the roof of the net.

There was no coming back for Keith in the 66th minute, when ‘Broch nabbed another wind aided goal. This time it was a swerving corner that flew in all directions inside the box, and Kieran Simpson managed to nod the ball into the net.

After that, with the wind and rain becoming incessant, Greg Simpson’s kick outs were turning the contest into a farce as everytime the ball was flying back and over the line for a corner. The referee then rightly spoke to both camps before abandoning the game with 76 minutes gone.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Rae, Robertson, Manson(Berton 65), Macaskill, Brownie, Keith(Begg 65), Selfridge, Young. Subs unused – Spink, Barron, Gray, Stewart.

Referee- Mr L Duncan.



It was perhaps fitting that Keith’s victory over Clach was the culmination of a hectic weekend for all those connected with the Club. The Maroons had a Sportsmans Dinner in conjunction with Islavale on Friday night, then a Coffee Morning on Saturday forenoon, setting up nicely for the afternoon’s proceedings at Kynoch Park.

It was smiles all round for those of a Maroon persuasion come 4.45pm, with the homesters nabbing their first league double of the season, as well as their first clean sheet of the campaign. Skipper Cammy Keith nabbed a deadly double and James Brownie weighed in with a counter. The latter’s goal must have given him great pleasure as he was a late stand -in for centre half Ryan Robertson, who was injured in the pre match warm up.

There were chances at both ends in the opening minutes, Andy Smith firing inches past the foot of the post at one end and Clach’s Scott Duncan shooting straight at Greg Simpson at the other end.

A goal was only delayed until the 11th minute when master marksman Cammy Keith slammed home from 10 yards to hit the “Lilies” who were wearing pink. Six minutes later the home fans’ celebration was shortlived when Macaulay Rae curled a 20 yard free kick home, but Wayne Barron was adjudged to have impeded Clach goalie Steven Martin.

Clach showed their teeth in the 58th minute, Fraser Robertson forcing a fine save out of Simpson. It was at the other end though that the next goal came with 62 minutes on the clock. Cammy Keith appeared to be upended inside the penalty area, and the skipper duly rattled home his 15th goal of the season with the resultant award.

Although the visitors struck the post after that it was Deano’s Dynamos who wrapped up proceedings in the 73rd minute through James Brownie who grabbed his second goal of the season from 15 yards.

A hard fought, but deserved winning start to December for Keith, with several hard games on the horizon.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Rae, Brownie, Manson, Macaskill(Spink 72), Young(Gray 75), Keith, Barron(Berton 60), Selfridge. subs unused – Lennox, Stewart.

Referee – Mr P Cummings.




This was aways going to be a tough game for Keith as Forres had only lost two home league games at home, and were sitting high in the league table. However, as it turned out the Maroons gave them a run for their money and only lost by the odd goal in the three, the Can Cans elevating to fourth spot with the victory.

Both goalies served with distinction, especially in the first half, but sadly it was a Greg Simpson error that paved the way to the opening goal. The game was also notable from a Keith point of view, for the late consolation goal being nabbed by 17 year old Scott Gray.

Opening exchanges were even, but Stuart Knight, who was voted Man of the Match, denied Michael Selfridge and Wayne Barron in quick succession. At the other end, Simpson thwarted Allan McPhee with a fine stop.

It was Knight to the rescue for the Can Cans again in the 36th minute, brilliantly tipping over James Brownie’s superb curling 20 yarder. Three minutes later the woodwork saved the Maroons, McPhee’s low shot hitting the foot of the post, Simpson quickly darting to grasp the loose ball.

A goal-less, but entertaining first half, finely set up a second period that opened with a bang. Within four minutes, Marc”Trigger” Young scraped the top of the Forres bar with a curling 20 yarder. Right away at the other end of the Mosset, Simpson inexplicably fired a clearance straight at Andy MacRae, who had the foresight and aim to punish the goalie well out of his area, by lobbing the ball into the empty net from 25 yards.

This didn’t deter Deano’s troops, and they kept plugging away. They should have levelled on the hour mark when fine play from Barron saw him cut the ball inside to Selfridge who squandered the chance right in front of goals.

Apart from the goal, there really wasn’t much between the sides, and Knight came to the rescue again with 73 minutes gone, sticking out his foot to keep out Brownie’s low 12 yarder.

However, a quick fire move three minutes later wrapped up the home win, Aidan Wilson whipping over a left wing cross for MacRae to nip in and slam home his 12th goal of the season from six yards.

The Maroons grabbed a small crumb of comfort at the very last gasp, young Scott Gray grabbing his first senior goal, ramming the ball home amidst a right close range goalmouth melee.

A disappointing outcome with the Maroons not playing badly, but really they need to start converting the chances that they creat.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon(Macaskill 66), Smith, Rae, Robertson(Gray 77) Manson, Brownie, Young, Keith, Barron, Selfridge. Subs unused – Lennox, Stewart.

Referee – Mr M Northcroft.



Keith, record winners of the Highland League Cup, exited the tournament following a nap hand from high flying Brora Rangers last Saturday. In a game that was the proverbial game of two halves, the Maroons were top dogs in the first half, but played second fiddle to a resurgent Caithness side after the break, quick fire goals doing the damage.

Kick off was delayed by fifteen minutes due to the home team bus breaking down en route to Kynoch Park. There was also a nice touch for spectators at half-time with the Club’s Under 13 players putting on a penalty shoot out with goalkeeping coach Sammy Stewart in between the sticks.

Dean Donaldson’s men showed their intent right from the first peep of the referee’s whistle. With 26 seconds played Brora goalie Joe Malin pulled off a flying save to keep out Marc Young’s net bound 16 yarder.

They duly opened the scoring with only eight minutes gone, Bradley Manson rifling home a low 12 yarder. The Maroons certainly looked the more likely to net again, and livewire Manson, instead of shooting himself in front of goals, opted to cut the ball inside to Michael Selfridge, whose shot was tipped round for a corner.

It was level pegging five minutes from the interval when a deep Steven Mackay cross was latched onto by Paul Brindle who raced through to slam the ball past Simpson.

The visitors looked a different kettle of fish after the break, and within a minute they got their noses in front when Dale Gillespie rattled home a low 10 yarder. The Maroons had the perfect reponse, and barely three minutes later they squared matters when Manson blasted into the roof of the net from 15 yards.

Game on again! – well not really, for a quick fire double in the space of three minutes effectivley ended Keith’s hopes. First, Brindle set up Gillespie who had the simple task of sidefooting home, then player manager Mackay grabbed his 300th North goal with an easy header from close range. Only the home defenders can answer what their part in those two goals was.

Brora went nap with fourteen minutes remaining Kyle Macleod heading home a Gavin Morrison free kick.

A thoroughly disappointing second half for home fans, with the rearguard failing to deal with set pieces, namely corners and free kicks, and they were made to pay the price.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Rae(Barron 82), Robertson, Begg(Berton 73), Young(Macaskill 73), Manson, Keith, Brownie, Selfridge. Subs unused – Gray, Stewart.

Referee – Mr G Soutar.



Keith created enough chances last Saturday to win three games, never mind one, but ended up sharing the spoils with their Caithness visitors Wick Academy. Skipper Cammy Keith notched his almost customary goal, but missed a host of other scoring opportunities, and really, somebody else needs to step up to the plate as well.

The end result meant that the Maroons stretched their unbeaten league run to four games, leaving them still handily placed in 10th spot.

They should have been a goal to the good with only 45 seconds on the clock but Keith fired inches wide. In response Sam Mackay clipped a 22 yarder just over the bar.

The Maroons deservedly took the lead in the 20th minute, Michael Selfridge whipping a low 16 yarder into the bottom corner for his 4th goal of the season. A quick reply from the Scorries saw Greg Simpson move smartly to tip round a well struck drive from Gary Manson.

Chances at both ends abounded, with Macaulay Rae heading just over the bar, before an incredible stramash on the visitors’ goal-line somehow fail to land in the back of the net.

In the dying minutes of the first half Cammy Keith headed wide from close range then the striker was thwarted by goalie Gordon Clark as he raced in on target.

Wick came more into the game after the break, and the levelled matters on the hour mark when a push on Davie Allan earned a spot kick which Manson duly rattled home. Five minutes later a lacklustre home rearguard was punished with Jack Halliday capitalising to clip the ball home from 10 yards to put his side in front.

However, six minutes later it was all square when a push in the away penalty area gleaned a penalty for the Maroons, which Cammy Keith rifled home for his 13th goal of the season.

With five minutes remaining Cammy Keith scorned the chance to give his side three points when he missed right in front of goals.

Although it was a game that was there for the taking all credit to the home players for fighting back to earn a draw, and considering the gruelling midweek encounter they had at Buckie, their fitness stood up which wouldn’t have happened at this stage last season.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Rae, Robertson, Manson, Young(Berton 69), Brownie, Keith, Barron(Macaskill 69), Selfridge. Subs unused – Begg, Gray, Stewart.

Referee – Mr S Traynor.




Keith fought toe to toe with Buckie Thistle on Wednesday night, but sadly suffered a District Shield exit after 120 minutes failed to separate the teams, the Jags winning 4-1 in the penalty shoot out.

Macaulay Rae turned a Sam Robertson cross into his own net in the 19th minute to give the homesters the lead, but the Maroons gave as good as they got.

The visitors persistence finally paid off with 11 minutes of normal time remaining, Max Berton slamming home a Stewart Hutcheon cross from 10 yards to square matters.  Dean Donaldson’s troops looked the better side in the extra time period, but neither side could find the back of the net again.

The penalty shoot out turned in Buckie’s favour right away with Sam Urquhart converting.  Cammy Keith saw his effort saved, before Steven Ross netted for jags.  Andy Smith slotted home for the Maroons, with  Andy Macaskill netting for Jags.  Macaulay Rae saw his kick saved, with Lewis MacKinnon putting Jags into the next round with his effort.

KEITH –  Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Rae, Robertson, Manson, Young(Macaskill 73), Brownie(Begg 96), Keith, Barron(Berton 73), Selfridge(Gray 103).  subs unujsed – Yeats, Stewart.

Referee – Mr L Duncan.




This wasn’t one of the classic ‘Vale v Keith clashes – but boy, it had a humdinger of a finish to it. The Banffers must have thought they had got one over their rivals when Robert Scott put the Princess Royal Parkers ahead with three minutes of normal time remaining.

However, in a massive sting in the tail, Cammy Keith was bundled over inside the penalty area two minutes into injury time. He duly rattled home the equaliser, then ‘Vale’s Kyle Willox saw red for his continuous protestations at the award being given.

Neither side was anything to write home about, so if truth be known a share of the spoils was probably about right, with the Maroons happy enough at travelling back up the A 95 having stretched their unbeaten run to three games.

Greg Simpson was the first goalie in action after five minutes, pulling off a fine diving save to keep out Jody Munro’s 18 yarder. At the other end five minutes later, the unmarked Jamie McAllister headed wide. Within two minutes ‘Vale were ahead, the unmarked Lewis Dunbar firing into the far corner of the net from 12 yards.

‘Vale could have doubled their lead in the 38th minute. but Andy Smith came to the rescue heading the ball out from under the bar. Then, two minutes from the half-time cuppa it was all square when a Stewart Hutcheon cross was teed on by Cammy Keith, and McAllister made no mistake from 8 yards for his 3rd goal of the season.

Nine minutes after the break with Michael Selfridge and Cammy Keith racing in from the edge of the box, the referee decided to pull play back to award the Maroons a free kick on the half way line.

Midway through the half, the Maroons breathed a sigh of relief when the unmarked Dunbar saw his shot luckily gathered by Simpson. A few minutes later Marc Young squandered a gilt edged chance when he raced into the penalty area, but fired his shot straight at Grant Pennet in the ‘Vale goals.

Pennet came to the rescue again with 82 minutes on the clock keeping out Cammy Keith’s low drive, then defying Bradley Manson at his left hand post from the loose ball.

With the egg timer running out Simpson pulled off a good save, but was helpless as Robert Scott followed up quickly to slam the loose ball into the roof of the net. Tatties ower the side or what? Well no, because with two minutes of added time having been played, ex-Maroons defender Michael Dunn was adjudged to have impeded Cammy Keith inside the penalty area. The Keith skipper duly rattled home the spot kick for his 12th goal of the season. Then came the red card for Willox right at the very death.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Rae, Robertson, Manson, Macaskill(Young 58), Brownie, Keith, McAllister(Selfridge 46), Berton(Begg 76). Subs unused – Barron, Stewart.

Referee – Mr D McFarlane.



Keith’s fourth away day win of the season last Saturday not only hoisted the Maroons into a lofty 10th spot in the league table, but it also meant that “Deano’s Dynamos” have overtaken their points total for the whole of last season, with still 19 games to go!

The Kynoch Park outfit showed character to come back from the loss of an early goal, and also an early second half leveller to send the sizeable Maroon contingent in the crowd home happy.

A chilly, blustery wind hampered both sides, but it was the Coasters who drew first blood after only four minutes when a Brodie Allen cross was headed home by young Ryan Stuart. The lead lasted 15 minutes, a wind assisted Max Berton free kick being glanced home by Jamie McAllister.

Four minutes later, a Berton corner was nodded home by James Brownie, the skillfull midfielder nabbing his first goal of the season to put his team in front. The visitors carved out several more first half opportunities without punishing the homesters.

Within five minutes of the start of the second period it was all square when another of Lossie’s bright youngsters Moray Taylor, was given space to rifle into the roof of the net from the edge of the box.

That jolted the visitors, and they kept a cool head to grab the lead again with 55 minutes on the clock, excellent play from wee Craig Macaskill bearing fruit with centre forward and skipper Cammy Keith whipping home a low shot for his 11th goal of the season.

The Maroons, could, and probably should, have put the game to bed, but substitute Marc Young was unlucky to see his net bound volley ping off a defender for a corner. Then Macauley Rae appeared to be clipped inside the penalty area, but play was waved on.

A sigh of relief breathed through those of a Maroon persuasion in the final minute when another fine move ended with Brownie cutting the ball across for the alert substitute Wayne Barron to ram home his second goal of the season from eight yards.

A good team display capped by a key performance by Max Berton who was here, there and everywhere. His quick feet are a joy to behold when he is on song.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Spink, Rae, Robertson, Manson(Barron 75), Macaskill, Brownie, Keith(Gray 85), McAllister(Young 62), Berton. Unused subs – Smith, Selfridge, Stewart.



Keith fans could have no complaints about this defeat following the close shave they had the previous week against Formartine. Brora came whizzing out of the blocks and three goals inside the opening 25 minutes had the game done and dusted.

You could argue that the Maroons had several key players missing through injury and suspension, but the harsh reality was that they were outgunned by the best side seen at Kynoch Park so far this season.

On a wet, dreich afternoon the homesters were trailing inside two minutes, the unmarked Craig Campbell whipping home from 12 yards as Brora set out their stall from the first peep of the referee’s whistle.

The scoreline was doubled in the 17th minute when a goal mouth melee ended with Brora player manager Steven Mackay heading home. Brora were looking slick at this point as they poured forward and Campbell, again unmarked, swept a shot inches over the bar, whilst Martin McLean did likewise.

With 25 minutes on the clock the game was over as a contest when the Maroons again failed to clear their lines and a Gavin Morrison deflection flew into the corner of the net. Another Morrison low drive screwed inches past the foot of the post as Brora continued to dictate. The best the homesters could muster was a Macaulay Rae header over the bar off a corner.

The Maroons looked to have more purpose after the break, and in the 54th minute Cammy Keith was twice denied in quick succession by visiting goalie Joe Malin.

However, Brora still looked the likelier to score and only a super one handed save by Greg Simpson kept out Morrison’s net bound drive. He then looked lively pulling off a fine diving save to keep out a James Ross 20 yarder.

With five minutes remaining substitute Paul Brindle dispossessed Stewart Hutcheon, and raced in from the left wing to crash a rising drive into the roof the net.

A disappointing afternoon all round, consigning Dean Donaldson’s troops to a sixth successive home league defeat.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Spink, Rae, Robertson, Brownie, Macaskill, Keir(Trialist 69), Keith(Barron 62), Selfridge, Berton(Manson 66). subs unused – Smith, Young, Stewart.

Referee – Mr D McFarland




Keith hadn’t beaten high flying Formartine for over six years, but by jove they gave their all in this Kynoch Park tussle, where, with Lady Luck perhaps smiling even just a wee bit, they might have ended that losing run.

Deservedly leading at half-time, they were hit by two quick fire second half goals, then a third goal which would have seen the team of last season capitulate. However, a late Cammy Keith counter set up a grandstand finish which failed to glean even a warranted share of the spoils.

The Maroons set out their stall in the early stages, taking the game bravely to the big spending Pitmedden outfit, making all the running in the opening minutes. Seven minutes on the clock and Kevin Main was forced to brilliantly deny Cammy Keith with his feet after a neat Michael Selfridge cut back. Ryan Keir should have done better a couple of minutes later, firing straight at the ‘keeper, then a quick Keith turn and shot was well held by the goalie.

It was no real surprise with 21 minutes gone that the homesters edged ahead. A brilliant Max Berton cutback was pounced on by Stewart Hutcheon who jubilantly sent a flashing shot into the roof of the net for only his second goal in 205 appearances.

The foot seemed to be taken off the pedal somewhat after that, and the visitors’ Archie MacPhee saw his powerful drive well blocked by Greg Simpson on the half hour mark, and in the ensuing scramble the ball hit the foot of the post, the danger eventually being cleared.

The home cause was hit somewhat with Andy Smith having to limp off in the 41st minute, as he had been influential in the middle of the park.

Formartine came out with more intent after the break and Andrew Greig rattled the post with a 16 yarder 5 minutes in. Then a MacPhee 20 yard free kick crashed back off the underside of the crossbar. At the other end a Cammy Keith rising drive flew inches past the post. The striker then produced a neat turn and shot which Main dived to hold.

The double introduction of Kieran Lawrence and Conor Gethins added more firepower to the visitors, and this heralded a two goals in three minutes flurry. First, the home defence got in a bit of a fankle and the end product was a spot kick which Greig duly rapped under the diving Simpson. They got their noses in front when the home rearguard failed to clear and Garry Wood pounced to slam home from 15 yards.

it looked to be all over bar the shouting with eight minutes remaining when the visitors broke quickly, and Wood raced in to blast past Simpson from 16 yards.

The Maroons weren’t finished yet though and with a couple of minutes of normal time remaining Cammy Keith slammed home his 9th goal of the season to set up a nail biting finale.

Still battling bravely to the final whistle, the Maroons finished the match with ten men with Selfridge limping off, the homesters having used all three substitutes.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon(Macaskill 84), Spink, Rae, Robertson, Smith(Manson 44), Keir(Barron 67), Brownie, Keith, Berton, Selfridge. Subs unused – Cowie, Gray, Young, Stewart.

Referee – Mr S Leslie



There will be no pot of Scottish Cup gold for Keith this season, following their disappointing first round exit at the hands of Lowland League outfit University of Stirling. The match was played last Sunday as the ‘Varsity use Stirling Albion’s Forthbank Stadium for their home matches.

A disappointing demise in what was Keith’s 62nd Scottish Cup match, stretching back over 93 years. The Maroons couldn’t quite make up for their first half malaise, despite a more spirited second half display, with a glut of missed chances proving instrumental in their loss.

‘Varsity looked sharper in the opening stages with Dominic Slattery nipping in front of Greg Simpson to scoop the ball over the bar from 10 yards in the 11th minute. Jamie Lennox snatched wildly at his shot from a good position at the other end three minutes later.

Simpson was to the fore in the next few minutes as the homesters pressed forward, the goalie gathering the loose ball amidst a goalmouth melee, then diving to turn away a Rory MacEwan 12 yarder.

‘Varsity got their noses in front with 19 minutes played, slack marking allowing Blair Lyons to pounce, rifling into the far corner of the net from 15 yards. Six minutes later it was 2-0 when Jamie McAllister handled inside the area, and Kieran Hall rattled the spot kick home with great aplomb.

Trying to get back into the game just before the break, Bradley Manson fired weakly wide, and also fired straight at the goalie on the stroke of half-time.

The Maroons showed more urgency after the half-time cuppa, without troubling the home reaguard. Midway through the half Ryan Keith teed up for Cammy Keith but the skipper blazed wide from 10 yards.

The visitors began to show they were the fitter outfit and with 75 minutes on the clock it was game on when Cammy blasted the ball into the roof of the net from 12 yards for his 8th goal of the season, and his 6th Scottish Cup goal for the Maroons.

Surely a leveller would come as the visitors poured forward! With six minutes remaining a hanging Keith cross was headed over the bar by the unmarked McAllister. Then McAllister was hauled down outside the 18 yard box, Keir’s well struck free kick being deflected for a corner.

In the dying seconds Lennox had the cruellest of luck when his netbound shot was cleared off the line by a defender.

A very disappointing day all round, but a string of corners throughout were wasted as more often than not they ended up down the goalie’s throat.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon(Berton 20), Smith(Keir 62), Rae, McAllister, Manson, Macaskill, Brownie, Keith, Lennox, Spink. subs unused – Robertson, Barron, Cowie, Gray, Stewart.

Referee – Mr G Calder.



A disappointing display and result for the Maroons in what was their last outing before their Scottish Cup tie against University of Stirling. The Kynoch Park outfit had to play most of the second half with ten men after Jamie McAllister saw red for a last man challenge.

Dean Donaldson was minus six of his first team squad, but there was no excuse as his side was outbattled by Strathspey for their first win of the season, two late goals taking the points back to Grantown.

Both goalies were to the fore in the first half, with Greg Simpson denying James Fraser after only 8 minutes. Eight minutes later, both Cammy Keith and Wayne Barron just missed out in front of goal.

Ten minutes from half-time Strathspey goalie Michael MacCallum dived to clutch a Jamie Lennox 15 yarder, then denied Cammy Keith with a fine block.

Four minutes into the second half, the visiting custodian pulled off a fine save, stretching to tip away a cute Lennox lob. Three minutes later McAllister saw red with his last man challenge on Scott Lisle.

This forced a change in personnel for the homesters, and substitute Max Berton twice went close with curling efforts. At the other end Simpson pulled off a fine double save, and also pushed away a Scott Lisle drive.

With 79 minutes played Ryan Robertson produced a great block on the line, with the loose ball appearing to hit a visiting body and out for a goal kick. However, a corner kick was awarded and from the ensuing effort, Ricky Lee scrambled the ball over the line to break the deadlock.

With five minutes remaining Trialist ought to have levelled but he failed to convert at the back post. A couple of minutes later Simpson came to the rescue defying Scott Lisle, but he was helpless to keep out the same player’s powerful shot into injury time.

Make no mistake, the men from Grantown deserved their first win of the season, they had given both Cove and Formartine hard fought matches recently, and they are not the chopping blocks of recent seasons.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Robertson, Rae, McAllister, Smith, Macaskill(Berton 55), Lennox(Cowie 61), Keith, Keir, Barron(Trialist 55). Sub unused – Stewart.

Referee – Mr F Mazzoni



 Despite playing 37 minutes of the second half with ten men, a plucky Keith outfit ended up exiting from the Aberdeenshire Cup in midweek.

This all action cup-tie was full of thrills for the spectators, but it was Turriff who advanced into the next round once the dust had settled.

The Maroons went ahead inside two minutes with wee Craig Macaskill hammering the ball into the roof of the net via the crossbar from 15 yards. It was all square within six minutes when slack marking saw Michael Ironside capitalise, slamming into the roof of the net from eight yards.

Chances abounded at both ends, and Turriff got their noses in front in the 31st minute. A headed pass back from Macauley Rae was pounced on by Ironside who ran in to clip the ball beyond Simpson. The Maroons hit back with Hutcheon, Selfridge and McAllister all going close.

The homesters were reduced to ten men eight minutes after the turnaround when Ryan Keith received a second yellow card. This prompted the Maroons to make two substitutions with Jamie Lennox coming on for his 250th competitive appearance.

Try as they might, the brave ten could not get that elusive leveller, and went down fighting to the end, showing grit and determination as well as skill without getting a just reward.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, McAllister, Rae, Keir, Macaskill(Norris 57), Brownie, Keith, Barron(Lennox 57), Selfridge. Subs unused – Robertson, Cowie, Young, Stewart.

Referee – Mr F Mazzoni



First league win at Victoria Park for six years, first back to back league wins for 20 months, three league wins out of four at the start of the new season. Yes, it is all happening just now for the Maroons, with Saturday’s last gasp, but deserved, victory sending those of a Maroon persuasion back up the Enzie Braes in most joyous mood.

Jamie McAllister, playing in an unfamiliar defensive role due to injuries, popped up to head home a superb late winner, his first Keith goal for almost 12 years. His rearguard play, alongside debutante Macauley Rae was instrumental in the Maroons dumping the Jags on their stamping ground. The latter was snapped up on a free transfer from Banks O’ Dee only a couple of days earlier.

With three key players injured, and two others unavailable, the remainder of the squad pulled together and produced an all for one, and one for all mentality which is rapidly becoming a key feature in Deano’s Dynamos make up.

Make no mistake, it may have been a goal almost three minutes into stoppage time that sealed it, but it was a victory that nobody could begrudge the Maroons.

Buckie were probably the better side in the first half, but couldn’t quite capitalise. Greg Simpson twice fumbled the ball, but then atoned with a fine tip over the bar in the 29th minute to deny Steven Ross’s powerful net bound header. From the resultant corner he kept the ball out with his feet.

After the half-time cuppa, the rejuvenated visitors took the game by the scruff of the neck, and ex-Maroons custodian Danny Bell was at full stretch to palm over wee Craig Macaskill’s shot. Looking sharper, and more intent, it was a blow then with 57 minutes on the clock, a Greg Simpson bloomer being capitalised on by Scott Adams who pounced to curl the ball into the empty net.

Keith heads don’t go down quite so easily these days, and within nine minutes parity was restored when a Cammy Keith cut back was neatly rifled into the roof of the net by Jamie Lennox from 12 yards for his 3rd goal of the season.

As the egg timer was beginning to run out, the Maroons, who must be commended on their fitness levels, began to grind down the Jags. The homesters were hit by a hammer blow in the dying seconds when a Michael Selfridge corner was met by the rising McAllister, who sent a bullet header into the roof of the net beyond the grasping Bell to set off scenes of great jubilation in the visiting camp.

An all round team effort with the unfamiliar rearguard outstanding. The work ethic just now is quite exemplary, and has borne fruit with nine points already on the board compared with sixteen points for the whole of last season.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, McAllister, Rae, Lennox, Brownie, Macaskill, Keith, Keir(Barron 74), Selfridge. Subs unused – Norris, Young, Robertson, Cowie, Stewart.

Referee – Mr P Cummings



Keith fans were jubilant as they trooped out of Kynoch Park last Saturday afternoon having witnessed a home win for the first time since November last year. The Maroons produced a sparkling second half performance topped by skipper Cammy Keith’s perfect double strike to dump pre match favourites Rothes.

Dean Donaldson’s match day squad was rather threadbare due to injuries to Ryan Robertson, Scott Begg and Marc Young, but the men available showed spirit, determination, and no little skill, especially after half-time, to nullify the Speysiders.

Two wins out of three ain’t bad in the season’s opening, and already Deano’s Dynamos look far fitter and more eager.

Rothes were probably the better side in the first half but were firing from long range, and off target. Greg Simpson had a fine blocked save from Jack Maley’s effort in the 16th minute, but apart from that he wasn’t troubled too much.

It was disappointing then, with three minutes of the first half remaining, that the visitors nudged ahead with an effort from Iain MacLellan following a corner.

The Maroons came out from the half time break looking far more purposeful and direct and should have levelled within three minutes only for Jamie McAllister to squander the chance by heading over the bar.

The striker then went close when he swivelled and whipped a 15 yarder inches off target. At the other end Simpson stuck put a foot to keep out Steven Anderson’s shot.

The Maroons were beginning to turn the screw and Michael Selfridge saw his net bound shot cleared off the line with 73 minutes on the clock. Four minutes later it was level pegging when Cammy Keith nodded home from close range.

With Speyside spirits clearly flagging after that, the Maroons had the smell of victory in their nostrils, and with six minutes remaining substitute Max Berton sent a sublime pass into the path of Cammy Keith, and he neatly sidestepped goalie Darren McConnachie before slotting into the empty net.

A grand three points and no mistake, with essentially a team performance. Michael Selfridge however, was the pick of the bunch for Match Sponsors “The Auld Guys”. Mind you, others in the frame were Stewart Hutcheon and Cammy Keith with Craig Macaskill putting in a grand shift until his substitution, as well as Jamie McAllister.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Manson, Spink(Keir 72), Brownie, Macaskill(Berton 72), Lennox(Barron 75), Keith, McAllister, Selfridge. subs unused – Norris, Stewart.

Referee – Mr D Munro.



Keith couldn’t quite follow up their opening day nap hand in mdweek when visitors Fraserburgh hit three goals without reply.

A minute’s silence was observed before kick off in respect of the late Sandy Stables in what was the Club’s first home fixture sine his sad passing.

The opening 20 minutes saw the Maroons hold their own against a side likely to be one of the title challengers this season. However, the ‘Broch opened the scoring when Willie West was left unmarked and he easily nodded home from 6 yards.

Greg Simpson pulled off a couple of saves after that, but he was helpless in the 62nd minute when goal ace Scott Barvbour made no mistake from 15 yards. Simpson pulled off another fine save before a Max Berton shot took a deflection off the post.

With fifteen minutes remaining ex Maroons striker Gary Harris rifled home to complete the scoring and give the visitors the three points.

Perhaps a bit shot shy, and slack marking in defence, but Dean Donaldson’s men didn’t capitulate, and they certainly look far fitter than they did this time last year.

KEITH – Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Manson, Robertson(Lennox 68), Spink, Macaskill(Berton 60), Brownie, Keith, Keir(Barron 72), Selfridge. subs unused – McAllister, Norris, Stewart.

Referee – Mr L Duncan.



Keith got their 2018-19 season off to a flyer on Saturday with a scintillating nap hand at Grant Street Park. The Maroons’ new term was delayed following the sad passing of former Chairman and Honoray President Sandy Stables the previous week.

The big fellow was surely looking down from above with great satisfaction as Dean Donaldson’s troops achieved their biggest win on Clach’s own stamping ground in the Merkinch since 1990.

Jamie Lennox, back in the fold as a player/coach, paved the way with a deadly double. Jamie has now reached the “tender” age of 30, and remains the youngest player to top the Club goalscoring charts for a season with his dozen goals in 2005-06.

Skipper Cammy Keith also bulged the old onion bag from the penalty spot, his 209th goal for the Maroons and only three short of 300 league and cup goals in the Highland League with his 88 strikes for Formartine.

Deano’s Dynamos raced into a three goal lead thanks to a composed double from Lennox, and wee Craig Macaskill, upon his return from Australia, putting the visitors well in the driving seat at half-time.

Fraser Robertson reduced the deficit for the “Lily Whites” after the break, but the unflappable Cammy Keith rattled home his 34th spot kick for the Maroons to put his team in sight of an opening day win.

Robertson replied with a spot kick of his own but Michael Selfridge completed the scoring in fine style to get the Maroons off and running.

Following a full pre season training under the management trio of Club legends Donaldson, Lennox and Brown, the squad looks fitter, sharper and more confident in themselves, with the distinct feeling that there is a good dressing room atmosphere.

KEITH – Simpson, Young, Smith, Begg(Hutcheon), Robertson, Manson, Macaskill, Lennox, Keith, Keir(Berton), Selfridge. subs unused – McAllister, Barron, Spink, Norris, Brownie.

Referee – Mr B Baxter

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close